Lemon Drizzle Loaf | Recipe

Overtime I have a week day off, I get the the urge just to bake, bake, bake. It's definitely a therapeutic way for me to destress. What better way to whip up a family favourite; a lemon drizzle loaf cake.
This always goes down like an absolute storm in my house, with the guys at work & friends.
I've made this so many times I could probably do it with my eyes shut, so I'm gonna give you the easiest way to recreate this cake.

What you're gonna need:
For the lemon loaf cake
225g Caster Sugar
225g Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
225g Self Raising Flour
4 Eggs
1 1/2 Lemons, juiced

For the lemon drizzle glaze
70g Icing Sugar
1/2 Lemon, juiced
First things to do preheat your oven to 180℃/ Gas Mark 4 and line your loaf tin. I always line my tin as it's easier to pull the cake out. If you haven't got anything to line your tin with, grease it lightly.

Mix the unsalted butter and caster sugar together until creamy & pale. I always put my butter on the bench 20 minutes before cooking, as it makes it so much easier to beat with the sugar.
Add one egg and a little bit of flour at a time, making sure it's completely mixed in before adding any more. 
Repeat this until you've used all four eggs and all the flour.
Finally I add in the squeezed lemon juice, I add this in last as for some reason it tastes so much nicer.

Pop the mixture in you're tin and bake for around 40-45 minutes. try not to open your oven whilst its cooking as you don't get the super crispy outside.
As soon as it's out the oven, pop it on a cooling rack but leave it in the tin.
 I like to add the lemon drizzle glaze to the cake pretty quickly as it comes out the oven, this gives it time to soak in whilst the cake cools. 
You'll always get a crispy outside and soft fluffy inside if you let it cool completely in the tin.
My Mam wasn't too impressed with me, as I made her wait to have a slice until I got some photos.
But she finally got a few chunky slices. 
This cake will probably last a day in my house, so you gotta grab it whilst you can

If you do use this recipe, tag me in your results, I would love to see them.

Comments